INTERNATIONAL CENTER OF EXCELLENCE AND RECOGNIZED LEADER IN THE FIELD OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
Haruv USA is an initiative of The Haruv Institute at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
Haruv USA at the University of Oklahoma-Tulsa is a new venture, bringing together the best of two worlds: the unique expertise and international leadership of the Haruv Institute, paired with the research-based educational knowledge and expertise of OU-Tulsa and the Anne and Henry Zarrow School of Social Work.
An enterprise of the Charles and Lynn Schusterman Family Philanthropies, Haruv USA focuses on comprehensive interprofessional education and training students and professionals who work with children in a wide variety of settings, as well as research on identifying, preventing and treating child abuse and neglect, with an emphasis on underserved children and families.
One of Haruv USA’s greatest strengths is the use of simulations (go to page) to provide highly specified training in unique scenarios. Professionals in the field of child maltreatment are able to acquire and master new skills, and practice professional intervention in a safe and supportive environment. Simulations take place at Tandy Education Center at OU-Tulsa.
Tandy Education Center facilitates state-of-the-art social and medical simulations, a method of training and feedback in which students practice life-like circumstances using models or virtual reality in exam rooms, inpatient intensive care unit, emergency rooms, consultation rooms and a model apartment for in-home care.
Participants watch their filmed exercise during debriefing, and receive feedback from the simulated client, colleagues and instructors. This bridging of theory and practice makes for highly effective learning and an extremely powerful experience.
MULTI-FACETED STRATEGY TO ADVANCE HARUV USA MISSION
- Developing innovative educational training for professionals, teaching them contemporary theoretical and empirical knowledge, and providing skills to enable the highest professional level.
- Cultivating an outstanding corps of professionals at all levels in the field of child welfare services, and promoting interdisciplinary coordination. Professionals include social workers, psychologists, physicians, attorneys, educational counselors and more.
- Fostering public awareness through education and informing policy-makers in order to influence policy and legislation concerning child maltreatment. This involves public education campaigns, policy regulation improvement, and raising awareness in parents, children and communities.
CONFERENCES AND COURSES GEARED TOWARD PROFESSIONALS:
- Pediatric hospitalists
- Hospital and community-based physicians and nurses
- Hospital and community-based psychiatrists
- Mental health professionals
- Clinicians and therapists
- Family and community social workers
- School based psychologists and counselors
- Law enforcement
- Public prosecutors
- Child protection officers